Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Emily Clobbers Killer Dog

In Songpan, it was a beautiful day--bright sunny, clear crisp mountain air. With a gorgeous day we
decided to go for a hike. The people in Songpan are mostly Tibetan and look very kind and happy here.
We started off down this road that followed a river. There were lots of animals grazing on the hills. On
the steep slopes we could see people out with goats, sheep, and horses. The hills that are terraced from grazing are terraced to be planted with vegetables. In the far distance were jagged snow capped peaks. Emily and I hiked a while and then decided to bust up this large hill for the ridge line. After an hour of zigzagging back and forth, we had reached the top.
We ate lunch next to someones house and enjoyed the beautiful view. Then we turned around and our plan was to hit
the west gate, the gate that soldiers had used a very long time ago to guard the city. We found a dirt
road and started to work our way back. Emily is this terrific navigator and that seems to be her role in this little adventure. I think my role may be watching the traffic. When we were in Yangshuo I saved her with my motherly clutch from possibly getting clobbered by a minivan so today she returned the favor. We passed a house with a scrappy looking midsized dog of indistinguishable pedigree. He snarled rather viciously and Emily wisely grabbed some rocks before heading past him. I, of course, lolly gagged past the dog with my back to it, thinking I would coo it a lullaby. While I was lolly gagging it lunged for me and Emily threw rocks. It worked and that is how Emily saved my life! OK well she at the very least saved me from a rabid dog or rabies shots in China. By the way, none of the dogs in China are very handsome.

3 comments:

Paul Van Antwerp said...

Dearest H-E-I-D-I,
I haven't read this far, but I have been working up from the original post. And I just want to holler: "Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!"
Paul

Paul Van Antwerp said...

But you probably read this post first and haven't seen my other ones yet, so go back to the first and read forward... Paul

CathyW said...

Heidi,

I second Paul's request -- Pictures please!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing and by all means you should take him up on his offer and become an accomplished NTY bestselling travel author.

Thank you for taking the time to share your travels while on the road!

Cathy